Sunday, December 5, 2021

First Read!

 Cast of Midsummer/Jersey,

Hello and WELCOME to the first Ida B. Wells production in two years! I'm thrilled and humbled to be guiding you through this process and to get back to THE WORK. It's been far too long. 

A couple of things about tomorrow's rehearsal:

We have a very young cast. Some of you I've had in class, others I've known for a few hours. This is a challenge, but also a source of excitement. This production is going to help build the future foundation of the Ida B. Wells Theatre Dept. I'm not sure what you already know and what you don't. So...

First reads are just that. This is our first chance to hear the playwrights words out loud with our cast. No one is winning any awards and no one needs to impress me or worry about playing their characters the way they'll be presented on opening night. I am only interested in hearing the words and the story. (I hope you have already read the script) Just bring yourselves, some water, some warm clothing (we'll be sitting) and a pencil and paper for note taking. As we read, jot down any questions or points of interest that you want to address. We have a lot of script to get through so any questions that you have will be answered when we enter table work. So write them down! 

DO NOT BE LATE to rehearsal. I have little patience for actors who are not ready to work when rehearsal begins. Our rehearsal starts at 3:45pm everyday. That doesn't mean to arrive at 3:45pm. That means we are ready to work at 3:45pm. The motto of my college theatre dept is "If you're not early, you're late." I take those words seriously. 

As we enter the blocking phase, I'll only be calling cast who are involved in the scene we are covering that day. I'll let you know what that looks like. Yes, you will find yourselves sitting down and not being used for periods of time. That's all part of the process. I encourage you to use this time to go over your lines (and blocking when we have it). What I discourage is mentally checking out and getting on your phone to doom scroll because you're bored. Be present in the moment even if you're not onstage. Go over your lines! At the very least, do some homework. I'll say it again, BE PRESENT IN THE MOMENT. This is the most important part of a rehearsal process. 

I seriously can't wait to start this process with you and to see your work! Every one of you were cast for a reason and I know you have it in you to destroy this script with your talent and creativity. 

I'll see you on the boards,

Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pickup/Photos Day - 2/16

Here are the pertinent details for our upcoming pickup rehearsal/photo shoot day, 2/16: Calls:  -Actors: In costume, makeup, warmed up, and ...